The Carjump iOS navigation was stale and stuck in a hamburger menu and thus hidden. It did not fit with the Human Interface Guidelines of Apple, and the user experience was confusing and subpar. With a team of two designers and a developer, I redesigned the app's navigation to fit the expectations of iOS users, in order to increase retention.
The navigation in the live app was hidden and confusing. Map features necessary to refine the search for a vehicle were tucked away and often missed. We, as a team, wanted to fix the app's navigation in order to better conform to Apple's guidelines and to improve the overall user experience.
In order to introduce this improvement, I ran a kickoff to present the case for an improved navigation to management, and justified as to why this change would benefit the product.
The Carjump map had many features meant to assist the user with finding and booking a vehicle, but also many planned features in the backlog which had to fit into the redesign. I ran a card sorting workshop with designers and developers to organize these into categories and see if there were features we could remove all together.
From the card sorting learnings, all map features were placed into an action (tab) bar. This would allow users to have everything relating to their vehicle search in the same place. To further improve the navigation, we also re-designed the remainder of the app to match the newly introduced Maps UI.
From the card sorting learnings, I took our all map features into an action (tab) bar. This way users could have everything relating to their vehicle search in the same place. As a result of the we also decided to re-design the remainder of the app to match the newly introduced iOS Maps UI.
We re-organized the remaining items dealing with personalization and carshing accounts into an intuitive dashboard, situated in a separate display, doing away with the hamburger menu. All screens inside the dashboard were then redesigned to be consistent with Apple’s standards.
In order to showcase the redesign and run user tests, I built a number of prototypes in Principle. I also used these to describe the interactions to developers, which I would then detail in JIRA tickets.